PERFECT PARTY: CONVERSATION TIPS.
Happy Holidays! Last night we had Jesse's company holiday party and it was an absolute blast! It was so great to see the wonderful team that Jesse and Dustin have built and to personally meet so many of their amazing employees. I have always loved parties- getting dressed up, seeing friends and family, laughing, having great food and drinks, and just celebrating. I especially love parties now because we have the opportunity to bring Lillian and introduce her to friends and family.
One of the biggest changes I have noticed about myself recently is that you are more likely to find me standing in front of the food display than in front of the bar. I used to go to parties and talk and drink the entire time and get home and be starving (everyone in my family does this -- we just can't help but saying hello and laughing with friends). Now I make a B-line for the food and try everything!!!
If you are not liquored up the bar, are an introvert, or frankly just do not feel comfortable at parties it can be hard to start or engage in conversations. It can be particularly difficult if you are at a company holiday person and cannot use the easy lead-in question of "where do you work?"!! Here are some questions I like to ask when meeting new people after the basic questions (where are you from, where do you live, relationship status, etc).
- Have you seen any good movies recently? Any you want to see? Soft intro question, works nicely, especially with Star Wars release.
- Do you have a favorite holiday tradition from childhood? Easy way to connect with people.
- Is there a Christmas song you hate? EVERYONE has a Christmas song that makes them cringe.
- What is your favorite sport to watch? Basically I want to know if you are a Steph Curry fan.
- Have you heard any good jokes recently? This allows people of all comfort levels to share their humor, probably one of the most important traits people want to convey.
- Have you heard of this really great blog, PERFECT 10 SF? Hahaha! I don't actually ask that, but feel free to ask it and spread the word ;)
- When you go to a concert do you prefer to be up close in general admission or a little further back? What was the last great concert you went to?
- What is your favorite app that you have on your phone? It is a great way to see all of the apps people have on their phone- Tindr, Washio, Luxe.
- Where is your favorite place for a good pastry? I am always looking for delicious bakeries and if they say they do not eat pastries I exit the conversation. They cannot be trusted.
- What do you think of so and so? Just kidding. That was a test! You should never try and start gossip at a party. That is probably why are you reading this post in the first place-- people don't like talking to you!
Have fun this holiday season!