PERFECT PLANNING: RETURNING FROM A TRIP.
Good Morning, Critters!
After a wonderful long weekend it can be so hard to get back into the swing of things. I had been counting down to the 4th of July weekend for the past couple of weeks and unfortunately I got very sick and am still recovering. Luckily, I got to relax in the perfect Sonoma sun, swim, picnic, go for long walks and catch the local 4th of July Parade. We had a really lovely time and it was the quintessential summer celebration weekend and I wish we could go back!
We've spent the last five or six weekends outside of the city and we've gotten the whole pack up and unpack system down. I can't think of anything worse than spending a great weekend away and coming home to a messy house! Is there anything worse!? Especially a late night before heading back to work! We've learned that we really have a great start to the week if we spend time getting our house extremely organized before we leave. Here is what I normally do and I recommend doing at least a handful of these before you leave for your next trip. We just got home and we're unpacking and repacking for our next trip!
- Do laundry before you leave. After a weekend away you'll inevitably have clothes that you need to wash so doing a few loads and folding and putting it away before you go ensures that you only have to do your vacation laundry.
- Make the bed. Before we leave I always put fresh sheets on our bed and in Lillian's crib. Coming home and sleeping in your own is even better when the sheets are crisp and clean.
- Empty out the fridge. Before we go we always empty out the fridge of anything that might go bad.
- Go grocery shopping and plan your first meal for when you return. It's the worst coming home from a trip to an empty pantry!!! Before Lillian, Jesse and I were fine coming home late and just finding whatever we had in our cabinets for dinner- popcorn, crackers, soup. But now I will go to the store to get a new carton of milk and ingredients for our first meal back.
- Put odds and ends away. Right before we walk out the door I just walk through the house and tidy up a few things that can be put away- fold the throws, fluff the pillows, put away Lillian's toys, etc. This makes such a big difference when you come home there is no clutter!
What do you do to get ready for a trip?
Our pillows pictured are from my favorite designer Caitlin Wilson. She is currently having 15% off of her entire site and new arrivals are coming tomorrow! I can't wait! Shop some of my favorites below.